Thursday, October 22, 2015

Movie Night: Double Indemnity

Sorry it's been a few days since my last entry. I totally intended to write about the movie, but I kind of forgot. :p

Anyway, so I am going to try to give a little bit of info about the movie. It has been over a week since I saw it, so if it seems my summary is a little foggy, that's why.


So, the movie I saw was called Double Indemnity. It was released in the year 1944. Up to this point, I had never heard of the movie, and knew very little about its plot line.

Basically, it's about this insurance salesman named Walter Neff (played by Fred MacMurray) who meets a woman named Phyllis Dietrichson (played by Barbara Stanwyck) who is interested in buying car insurance from him. The two both seem to like each other. The only problem is that Mrs. Dietrichson is married. Her husband, she tries to explain to Neff, is very mean to her. She says that he doesn't love her and only cares for his daughter from his first marriage.

Neff feels bad for Phyllis and decides to help her get out of her "abusive" relationship. Their plan? Buy life insurance for Mr. Dietrichson and then have him end up dead. The two would then be able to share the money they made from the life insurance, and be able to live happily together.

Well, it seems to start out alright. Their plan to get rid of Mr. Dietrichson seemed to work just as they had planned. But they soon realize that it was not exactly the best thought out plan to start with.

Even though this movie is pretty old, I actually liked it quite a bit. The acting could have been a little better, but the story line itself was very good. I didn't see the ending coming at all; I didn't think it would end the way that it did.

All in all, this was a good movie. For the most part, it was pretty family friendly. I mean, I know the plot line of an affair and murder aren't necessarily wholesome, I felt it was made as clean as it possibly could. For example, you don't even see the murder take place. You just know it happened. If this movie had a rating today, I think it would be rated PG. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone under the age of 10, but 10 and older would most likely have no problem with this movie. (I don't really know why any 10 year old would be interested in watching this movie, though.)

I'm glad I went to see this. Next month they are having another movie night at the college. It is a 1950s film. I can't remember the name at the moment, but I figure if I end up going, I will review it on here.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now!

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Sam

No comments: